guix-devel

Re: OCaml 5.0 and Guix

From: pukkamustard
Subject: Re: OCaml 5.0 and Guix
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 06:57:35 +0000

Hi,

>> Still very much WIP, but a way to give OCaml 5.0 with multicore support
>> a try.
>
> What is the status of OCaml bootstrapping for this new version?

Currently 5.0 is not bootstrapped with camlboot.

> Can we have a chain from camlboot -> OCaml 4.07 -> ?? -> v5.0?

That would be very nice! I don't know what the chain would look like. Do
we need to go trough all versions up to 4.14 to compile 5.0 or can 4.09
compile 5.0?

>From what I understand, currently only OCaml 4.07 is bootstrapped with
camlboot in Guix. I think Julien has done some work towards
bootstrapping 4.09 (https://github.com/Ekdohibs/camlboot/issues/59).

Also just read this comment
(https://github.com/Ekdohibs/camlboot/issues/1#issuecomment-452905768):

>  As I said on IRC (repeating it here for the record), the idea is to
> replace the interpreter written in OCaml by one written in C. That
> way, it is possible to use all the primitives of the runtime for free.
> I am still unsure as to what I should do for the parsing, since
> several options are possible. It probably needs more thinking.

Sounds like a job for Guile with some C interop and PEGs? :)

Cheers,
pukkamustard