guix-devel

Re: git guix checkout automation for contributors

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: git guix checkout automation for contributors
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 18:36:54 +0200

On 25-09-2022 17:04, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
Also, this doesn't work:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:06:06 +0200
Danny Milosavljevic<dannym@scratchpost.org>  wrote:

(1) install the guix system
(2) log in as regular user
(3c) git clone --depth=1https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git  guix \
    && cd guix \
    && guix shell

This issue had been reported in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50960#13>:

Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
What would happen on the top-level of the Guix source tree or deep
inside the tree of a guile package that deals with manifests, that
aren't necessarily related to Guix?  I think we should try searching
for something less ambiguous first (".guix-shell/manifest" perhaps?)
and maybe also provide further options after manifest.scm (e.g. build-
aux/guix.scm or etc/guix.scm)

This issue was considered unlikely:

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
You mean a directory that contains a file named ‘guix.scm’ or
‘manifest.scm’ but that happens to do something completely unrelated?

We can never rule this out, but I’d say it’s unlikely (these two
conventions are rather well established) and it’s up to the user to pay
attention.

WDYT?

Later shown to be incorrect on the top-level of the Guix source tree more explicitly:

Maxime Devos wrote:
Guix itself doesn't follow this convention: the guix source tree has an
unrelated
"guix.scm" file, that doesn't evaluate to a package.  I'd expect that running
"guix shell" within the guix source tree would be equivalent to
"guix environment guix", but currently this doesn't seem to be the case.

As such, it was proposed to leave out auto-detection of ‘guix.scm’:

Liliana Marie Prikler wrote: > Leaving out the auto-detection of ‘guix.scm’ and ‘manifest.scm’ for now
is a good idea, given that Guix itself would be an edge-case for that.
[ proposed alternative solution ]

It was agreed that auto-detection fails here:

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Guix itself doesn't follow this convention: the guix source tree has an
unrelated
"guix.scm" file, that doesn't evaluate to a package.

Indeed, but that’s because Guix predates the convention.  :-)

Toggle quote (4 lines)
I'd expect that running "guix shell" within the guix source tree would
be equivalent to "guix environment guix", but currently this doesn't
seem to be the case.

Right, it would fail poorly in this particular case.

... and then ignored, AFAICT.

Greetings,
Maxime.