guix-devel

Pick your team!

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Pick your team!
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:46:59 +0200

Hello,

We recently introduced a teams.scm[1] file defining different teams such
as "Julia team", "Lisp team" or "Mentors".

If you are a newcomer seeking for some guidance to contribute to a Lisp
package, you can run the following command:

mathieu@meije ~/guix [env]$ ./etc/teams.scm list-members lisp
Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net>
jgart <jgart@dismail.de>

so that you know who can help you with you endeavor.

Now, we are going a step further, and by running:

mathieu@meije ~/guix [env]$ git send-email --to XXX@@debbugs.gnu.org
$(./etc/teams.scm cc-members HEAD~2 HEAD) *.patch

the teams concerned by the two last commits you are sending to review
will automatically by put in CC.

This is automatic but not magic! It works by defining a scope of files
that are mentored by a team. For instance, the installer team has the
following scope:

(define-team installer
  (team 'installer
        #:name "Installer script and system installer"
        #:scope
        (list (make-regexp "^guix/installer(\\.scm$|/)"))))

So, we can all improve this mechanism by:

1. Defining your team scope, if you are already part of a team

2. Joining a team

To do that, you can send patches to the etc/teams.scm.in file.

Thanks,

Mathieu

[1]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/etc/teams.scm.in