guix-devel

Re: Sanitizer of record fields?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Sanitizer of record fields?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 13:16:07 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 08 Sep 2022 at 11:32, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:
> On 08-09-2022 09:59, zimoun wrote:

>> We could add a lint checker.  Is it a “good” idea?
>
> We already have one, 'check-license'.

Yeah, but I was talking about check if the field return the expected
record type.  Not only for the license one.

>> Because lint is not always applied, a check should be done when running
>> ’make’ or a special target.  Is it a “good” idea?
>
> I suppose it is a possibility, but it adds a few seconds to every 'make':
>
> time ./pre-inst-env guix lint --checkers=license
> make  all-recursive  [...]
> gnu/packages/qt.scm:1373:13: qtshadertools@6.3.1: invalid license field
> gnu/packages/tex.scm:11816:2: texlive-setspace@59745: invalid

It means that “guix lint” is not systematically run. :-)

I agree that the overhead on ’make’ is probably not worth.  Maybe, more
checks could be run by the pre push hook.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon