guix-devel

Re: Failure with “guix copy“

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Failure with “guix copy“
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 19:07:42 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On ven., 02 sept. 2022 at 15:35, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Well, I was expecting that the items were just copied.  Why ‘guix copy’
>> tries to locally build something?
>
> My guess: use ‘--no-grafts’ and it’ll copy the ungrafted package.

No, nothing is “grafted”. :-) Well, it is from a weird design of the
haskell-build-system applying a minor revision update via ’arguments’
and not via ’source’.  See the discussion here [1].

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/87ilmk5q8q.fsf@gmail.com>

> Otherwise, Guix starts by building the package so it can compute the
> grafting derivation, at which point it’ll happily copy the grafted
> variant from that other machine.  But that’s typically not what you
> want.

What I want is just transfer ghc-lucid from one machine having it to
another.

Cheers,
simon