guix-devel

Re: Dealing with upstream issues

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Dealing with upstream issues
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:25:05 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 14:31, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:

> You often close bugs with as rationale: ‘no response since X months,
> hence closing’, so it seems to me that you would simply close bug
> reports if the bug reporter is gone.

[...]

> That's the issue I wanted to highlight -- issues are closed before
> being fixed when the the reporter disappears (and hence, cannot provide
> "more info", or has other things to do than provide a fix by
> theirselves), even if the bug is understood.

These claims are inaccurate.  And it appears to me unfair considering
all the amount of time I personally spend on old bug triage; instead of
doing other (funner?) things.

My workflow dealing with old bugs is: pick one and read the report (and
the complete thread, if any), then,

 1. the report provides enough information for reproducing; I try to
    reproduce myself and report more info, and then I try to collaborate
    for fixing or closing.

 2. the report does not provide enough information to understand what
    the bug is about or to find a way to reproduce; then I ask more info
    – sometimes my reply is even the first one, then,

    a) an answer is back so it is similar as #1.

    b) no answer after 2 or more weeks, so I try to determine if the
       report is actionable and if the next action is fine-grained
       enough to be doable.  After 2 or more weeks, I ask again.

       Therefore, if a bug report after 2 or 3 years is not commented,
       especially after 2 or more attempts to understand and ask for the
       next steps without an answer back by the whole community, what
       could be the action other than just close the report.

Ultimately, nothing is perfect and people are doing their best with
their resource at hand; at least, I do my best with the resource at my
hands.  I would be more than happy if more people would try to sort,
classify or fix the old bugs.  Maybe, you will join the effort ?

I stop now the discussion in this thread since I do not see what we are
discussing.

Cheers,
simon