guix-devel

Re: Set FORCE_SOURCE_DATE=1 by default

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Set FORCE_SOURCE_DATE=1 by default
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:11:57 -0700

On 2022-06-22, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@reproducible-builds.org> skribis:
>
>> On 2022-06-21, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> I'd much prefer challenging that stance than "endorsing" it in Guix :-).
>>> I think it'd be OK to reluctantly add it in as a stop-gap fix in Guix,
>>> but *only* after opening an issue to discuss it upstream and linking to
>>> that issue in Guix.
>>
>> I get it. I really do. It kind of grates at me every time I think about
>> this.
>
> :-)
>
> Another option would be to patch TeX Live, assuming the
> FORCE_SOURCE_DATE bit is well isolated in a single file.  Would that
> seem reasonable/feasible/desirable to you, Vagrant?

Only problem I see is indefinitely maintaining a patch to TeX Live that
upstream is unlikely to take ... but other than that, this sounds great!

We'd also get a clearer idea of which packages are affected, rather than
setting it globally and rebuilding everything...

I'll also try to dig up at least one of the threads where there was some
discussion with upstream... hopefully without getting too caught up in
that old rabbit hole.

live well,
  vagrant