[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Release v1.4?
Re: Release v1.4?
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:31:34 +0200
Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/28.1 (gnu/linux)
Brian Cully <email@example.com> skribis:
> Ludovic Courtès <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>> So plain ‘emacs’ package doesn’t work on Wayland? That sounds like
>> recipe for a poor user experience, no?
> The mainline Emacs is not Wayland-native, but it (along with just
> about everything else) will run fine under XWayland. It's how I've
> been running it for some time now. The user experience is almost
> indistinguishable from either the ‘pgtk’ branch or the mainline,
> X-only branch.
>> (FWIW folks like me who use exwm, ratpoison, or one of these geeky
>> tiling window managers probably can’t switch.)
> This is correct, but I don't see why this should prevent Guix offering
> the option for Wayland-based compositors/window-managers out of the
> box as all it does is offer more options for users.
> Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't believe that setting
> the ‘wayland’ flag to #t in gdm-configuration causes Wayland to be
> used for your desktop environment, it merely *allows* it to be
> selected from the greeter. When logging in you can select from Gnome
> under X, Gnome under Wayland, or other window managers you may have
> installed under either environment. Without that flag only the X11
> window managers will be selectable.
OK, I wasn’t aware of that; if setting ‘wayland?’ to #t is this smooth
and basically indistinguishable for those who want to stick with X, then
I guess we should enable it.
I’m still unsure whether doing is before the release is reasonable,
given how much we have on our plate.
- Re: Merging ‘staging’?, (continued)
- Re: Release v1.4?, Josselin Poiret, 2022/06/10
- Re: Release v1.4?, Ludovic Courtès, 2022/06/15
- Re: Release v1.4?, Gábor Boskovits, 2022/06/15
- Re: Release v1.4?, Josselin Poiret, 2022/06/16
- Re: Release v1.4?, Ludovic Courtès, 2022/06/17
- Re: Release v1.4?, Josselin Poiret, 2022/06/17
- Re: Release v1.4?, Brian Cully, 2022/06/17
- Further thoughts on Xorg "vs" Wayland etc -- was: Re: Release v1.4?, bokr, 2022/06/18
- Re: Release v1.4?, Philip McGrath, 2022/06/19
- Re: Release v1.4?,
Ludovic Courtès <=
- Re: Release v1.4?, Efraim Flashner, 2022/06/28