guix-devel

Re: LibreSSL?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: LibreSSL?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:17:38 +0200

Hello,

Am Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 10:41:11AM +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> At first sight, it looks like an easy-to-maintain package: no
> dependencies, few users, stable API.
>
> I tried to update it to 3.5.1 and was proved wrong though: there’s one
> test failure in ‘tests/asn1object’ and the Internet doesn’t seem to know
> how to address the problem.  So it would need a bit more work.
>
> I’d lean towards keeping it and doing that extra work, collectively, but
> I understand this very discussion shows that it’s debatable.

at some point in time, my understanding was that we would switch everything
to libressl and drop openssl. I have not followed, but from
   https://lwn.net/Articles/841664/
it looks as if the problems with openssl are more or less solved, at least
they are not worse than in libressl.

So an option would be to try to switch the existing dependencies to openssl
and decide from there.

What do you think?

Andreas