guix-devel

Re: On commit access, patch review, and remaining healthy

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: On commit access, patch review, and remaining healthy
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:34:35 +0200

Hi Maxime and all,

I'm so sorry this discussion is shifting to the actual meaning of
reproducible... especially since Maxime and many of us know it very well

I'm sure 95% of people I know would not understand me if I tell them
that their software should be reproducible, they should study a little
bit (effort) what software is to really understand what I mean... or
Just Trust Us™

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

[...]

> It's ‘reproducible’ in the trivial sense that you can ‘reproduce’ a
> scientific paper by putting it a photocopier.

Maxime I have a question for you please: do you really think that in the
NixOS community (or any other project mentioned in
https://reproducible-builds.org/who/projects/) the term reproducible is
interpreted in that way?

That's not reproducible in this context [1] (I mean software
reproducibility), or to be unambiguous we should always use "build
reproducible" instead of "reproducible" so we amost recall some context
[2]?

IMVHO if we continue using the term reproducible in that trivial way [3]
when talking about software (this include each and every scientific
paper [4]), we will never get to any point; reproducible is what
reproducible means: https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/definition/

I was just hoping that nowadays "reproducible" is perceived as "build
reproducible" (as defined in the definition above) by all software
developers and many users (including scientists)

... the same holds for "bootstrappable" (in this context)

Happy Hacking!  Gio'

P.S.: or you Maxime are just playng the devil's advocate? :-D

[1] context is what defines the meaning of symbols ;-)

[2] build what?

[3] scan and print (aka copy) and distribute the compiled binary
artifact

[4] is it software even if not always expressed in a programming
language? (my guess is yes)

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures