guix-devel

Re: Move switch-symlinks to (guix build utils)

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Move switch-symlinks to (guix build utils)
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 12:17:26 +0200

bokr@bokr.com schreef op za 04-06-2022 om 01:55 [+0200]:
> I am not expert on kernel link internals, but if
> you need/prefer atomic change to a specific link,
> does my log [1] below suggest a way?
> [...]

Only the replacing of an old by a new symlink needs to be atomic, and
this is already the case.  The only non-atomicity is that if
interrupted, an extra symlink [...].new can be created, but except for
tidyness this is not really a problem AFAICT.

Speaking of atomicity, I wonder if 'fsync'ing the symlink or the
directory is required?  E.g., is it possible after a power interruption
for the contents (= target) of the new symlink to be truncated without
doing a 'fsync' before the rename?

Greetings,
Maxime.