guix-devel

Re: On commit access, patch review, and remaining healthy

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: On commit access, patch review, and remaining healthy
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 21:35:22 +0000

Hi,

On Thursday, June 2nd, 2022 at 15:10, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> In addition to that, we need to encourage contributors who are not
> committers yet, which obviously means reviewing and applying their
> contributions in a timely fashion. We need to grow prolific
> contributors into leadership positions to they can become committers
> and take part into this whole process.

I used to have commit access a long time ago, but I eventually gave it up. I
think the main reason was that I felt unconfortable having commit access to all
Guix repositories (I only wanted access to guix-artwork at that time). I
sometimes felt I was a security hole, specially when dealing with GPG, which I
still find intimidating.

As for reviewing patches or just taking a look at reported issues against parts
of Guix one is interested, it would be easier if there were some kind of
subscription system. Say, I'd like to subscribe to issues on Python packages,
Spanish translation, and guix-artwork. I know this kind of subscription thing
has been mentioned before, though.