guix-devel

proposal: address@hidden list/alias

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: proposal: address@hidden list/alias
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 22:17:07 +0200

Hi,

to help new contributors get their first contribution into Guix I think
it would be good to do this:

2. ask for experienced Guix contributors who are committed to helping
new contributors to subscribe to the list

3. update the Contributing section in the manual (and the website) to
suggest Cc-ing guix-mentors@gnu.org for a first contribution.

4. have subscribers to guix-mentors@gnu.org “claim” a contribution
within 48 hours, to avoid dilution of responsibilit.  Every contribution
must be acknowledged.

Mentors would then not merely review the submission but shepherd it,
making necessary modifications and push the adjusted patches as soon as
possible.  The goal is not to do the usual review but to create
quick successes, a great first impression.

I recently contributed my first R package to CRAN, and I received an
automatic response that a human reviewer would get back to me within x
days.  This was a great experience, because I didn’t feel like I dropped
off a package into the void.  Expectations were managed and a process
outlined that set the course for the whole interaction.

Our track record with regard to review is not great, and that harm first
contributors more than anyone else.  Having dedicated mentors who agree
to responding and claiming a contribution within 48 hours addresses this
problem.

I cannot commit to reviewing enough patches that come in on
guix-patches, but I sure can promise to join the guix-mentors list and
take on and shepherd first contributions.

What do you think about this?

--
Ricardo