guix-devel

Re: [core-updates-frozen] Different variants of Python packages in the s

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [core-updates-frozen] Different variants of Python packages in the same profile?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 22:27:31 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 at 10:42, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> on the core-updates-frozen branch we have a minor problem:
> python-numpy has been upgraded to 1.21, but python-numba can only
> be built with 1.20[1].  I added python-numpy-1.20 and made
> python-numba use it.

I think the upgrade of Numpy had been a mistake.  All the Python
scientific stack has to be upgraded in one go.  From my understanding,
it is the same issue as Haskell and LTS, for instance.  As Lars said,
try to have several versions would probably lead to a mess with weird
behaviours difficult to debug; from my understanding.

The best is to downgrades python-numpy to 1.20 (potentially 1.20.3
released on May 2021, that’s not that old :-)) and wait python-numba
works with Numpy 1.21.  IMHO.

Cheers,
simon