guix-devel

[core-updates-frozen] Different variants of Python packages in the same

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: [core-updates-frozen] Different variants of Python packages in the same profile?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:42:57 +0000

Hi Guix,

on the core-updates-frozen branch we have a minor problem: python-numpy has been upgraded to 1.21, but python-numba can only be built with 1.20[1]. I added python-numpy-1.20 and made python-numba use it.

Now the problem I have is that numba is used with other packages (such as python-scikit-learn) that build with the latest numpy. An example is python-umap-learn, which propagates both python-numba (with python-numpy-1.20) and python-scikit-learn (with python-numpy). This doesn’t work because Python only knows about the name “numpy” and will pick the first matching module on the load path.

So… since numpy 1.20 is the exception here, could we perhaps … rename it? And then have python-numba import that renamed module “totally-not-numpy” instead of “numpy”? Could we thus avoid this conflict? If renaming is an option — how would it be done? Is it enough to rename the “numpy” directory with “numpy-1.20”, the “numpy.py” file with “numpy-1.20.py”, and then update all “import” statements both by numpy itself and by python-numba?

I’d like to fix this before merging core-updates-frozen, as this affects at least 16 bioinformatics packages and working around this will be difficult for users.

--
Ricardo

[1]: https://github.com/numba/numba/issues/7176