guix-devel

Re: default tar format for "make dist" and patch file length

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: default tar format for "make dist" and patch file length
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 23:39:21 -0500

On 11/19/21 09:54, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
So, I guess I'm leaning towards making the guix lint check a little more
lenient.

Thoughts?

That sounds even better, I’m all for it (changing (guix lint) + fixing
the two remaining issues)!

It might also help to change the warning given by the check.

When a program called "lint" tells me that something is too long, I understand that to mean that what I've done is generally considered bad style, but there might be a very good reason to do it in some specific case. For example, I might exceed a line length guideline to avoid inserting linebreaks into a URL.

If instead `guix lint` is telling us about a hard limit that will break things, I think it should say so clearly.

-Philip