guix-devel

Re: Flag day for simplified package inputs

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Flag day for simplified package inputs
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 16:29:54 +0100

Hey Guix,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> As a reminder, the plan I proposed¹ is to have a “flag day” shortly
> before ‘core-updates-frozen’ is merged into ‘master’ when we would run
> ‘guix style’ on the whole repo, thereby removing input labels from most
> packages.
<snip>
> If everything goes well, this could happen in a few days.
>
> Thoughts?
Slightly OT, but I think we should think about it now rather than after
the merge.

As with any bulk change, this change will clobber git blame for the
forseeable future for a big chunk of the code.

When applying this and future bulk changes, could we perhaps list the
specific commits (+ commented shortlog line) in a file. To clarify, if
we were to store these commits in `.git-blame-ignore-revs', later on we
can instruct users to run:

git config blame.ignoreRevsFile .git-blame-ignore-revs

to ignore the bulk change for git blame purposes.

It seems like a maintainable way to mitigate some of the (IMO) major
disadvantages that we bring in by applying bulk changes.

NB, we could still ponder and discuss this approach at a later point in
time, but perhaps we want to deal with some of these issues in a
different way that cannot be delayed as easily.

WDYT?
- Jelle