guix-devel

Re: Accuracy of importers?

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Accuracy of importers?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:47:41 -0500

Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr> writes:

>    go           (Sarah? Leo? Raghav?)

I have only used this a few times so far, but the quality seems to have gotten
a lot better. My impression, though, due to the nature of how we have to
generate packages so as to not be reliant on a centralized GOPROXY server
(namely one controlled by Google), is that we stumble dealing with the
heterogeneity of the internet. There are a few things which could make this
situation better:

There is an open issue[1] for a better API to https://pkg.go.dev which may
eventually allow us to query for things like license, VCS path, etc. This could
obviate Guix's need to crawl the internet.

I was also discussing[2] the pros/cons of relying on the Go tool-chain to do
most of the work for us. I think doing so might be making the right trade-offs,
but it sounds like[3] we are blocked by cgit's ability to work with shallow
checkouts. Since Guix has a build environment, maybe we could just use Git the
CLI instead of a scheme library when necessary.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your talk!

[1] - https://github.com/golang/go/issues/36785
[2] - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-09/msg00344.html
[3] - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-10/msg00020.html

--