guix-devel

Re: Audacity has new administration

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Audacity has new administration
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:48:58 +0200

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

Hi Bone Baboon,

thank you for the further info!

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

[...]

# On by default telemetry

On by default telemetry is being introduced to Audacity. This does not
comply with the No Malware section of the FSDG.
<https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html>

Will be possible to disable Audacity telemetry in our official Guix
package definition using a build flag or a patch?

AFAIK the answer is yes, this means Audacity Guix package can (easily) be "transformed" to be FSDG compliant when (if?) telemetry will be set opt-out upstream; if the answer will be no, we should remove the next
Audacity-with-undisableable-telemetry version.

For reference, that’s what we do for Ardour, which has a benign up-to-date? check that is enabled by default and that we remove in a patch. Oddly enough there was no big discussion about any of this, perhaps because disabling features like that is pretty common and has been done for decades in Debian.

--
Ricardo