guix-devel

Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 21:53:26 +0200

Hi Mark,

‘Force’ is a poor choice of word, both factually and rhetorically.

Mark H Weaver 写道:
The reason is that our 'gnome' package depends
on 'gnome-boxes'

To me (a non-GNOME user), this is the problem. GNOME Boxes is a wonderful front-end for creating and running virtual machines using libvirt. Why is it installed by default for every GNOME desktop user?

Conversely, it would be unfortunate to leave libvirt users with a less useful package because of that.

How about moving libvirt_storage_backend_zfs.so to a separate output? Fortunately libvirt appears to be modularly well-designed, although I haven't tried myself.

Kind regards,

T G-R