guix-devel

Re: Please review blog post draft: powerpc64le-linux support

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: Please review blog post draft: powerpc64le-linux support
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 01:13:31 +0200

On Tue, 2021-04-06 at 00:15 -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Léo and I have drafted the following blog post.  Could you take a few
> minutes to read it and give us your thoughts?
>
> It's a work in progress.  The primary goal is to announce the new
> powerpc64le-linux support and explain why it matters (POWER9 is an
> exciting, freedom-friendly platform!).  The secondary goal is to
> explain
> some of the details about what we did, and invite people to get
> involved.
>
> Your feedback would be highly appreciated!

It's been mostly you here Chris, thank you so much for writing it, as
others said, it is really beautifully written! Unfortunately I havent
felt enough peace of mind to write like you did :-(

I would've liked to write about the early days where I met some
problems with the core-updates branch having to rebase several times
and learning GNU Guix at the same time since my first ever project
related to GNU Guix was porting before even trying to use it elsewhere.
Having to learn the GNU commit message guidelines, then learning git-
send-email and GNU Emacs (since that's where all dev tools are), all
that to contribute to GNU Guix and get this port in. Aaaahh very long
story!

Léo