guix-devel

Re: A plan for parameterized packages

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: A plan for parameterized packages
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 19:44:44 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> skribis:
>
>> The issue is that despite all that, the size of the images tend to
>> increase too rapidly over time[1].
>
> Yeah, that’s also the problem here: we have ‘guix size’ to profile a
> package at one point in time, but it’s easy to unwillingly increase its
> closure size the next day without noticing.
>
> Chris: does the Data Service track store item sizes (and more generally
> everything ‘query-path-info’ returns)?  It’d be great to be able to
> visualize size plots over time!

The Guix Data Service can store narinfos, which I believe contain all
the information you need to do something similar to what `guix size`
does. I believe you'd be able to track the size of individual items, as
well as closure size through the reference information.

So, yeah, I think it's definately possible to do what you describe.

Chris