guix-devel

Re: Updating to latest Bioconductor release

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Updating to latest Bioconductor release
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 22:13:33 +0100

Hi,

>> > http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2020-11-19.log#182349
>
>> Right, so I shouldn't have pushed to "wip-r" in the first place.
>
> Well, I think it is a lack of synchronisation between all of 3;
> especially with this work around via external GitHub upstream.

Yeah, sorry.  I didn’t realize wip-r was worked on by any one other than
simon and myself.  The commits are still there, they just don’t have a
named pointer (= branch) to them any longer:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?id=8ed6a08a998d4abd58eb67c85699f38f87f76d05

If that’s the last commit (or if you have another one that was pushed) I
can simply reset the branch pointer to it and then stay out of it :)

>> Perhaps I should do it "the old way" and base my patches on the master
>> branch and send the gazillion patches to the mailing list. :)
>
> What Ricardo did previously (my rewrite of history on Nov. 10 on
> GitHub, and then pushed by Ricardo to Savannah today), quoting their
> word: "delete origin/wip-r, reset my local copy to zimoun/wip-r,
> rebased on top of origin/master, and pushed origin/wip-r".  Maybe you
> could do the same.
>
> Or if you have the super power to do that: you can delete the branch
> and re-push.

Deleting the branch is “git push -d origin wip-r”.

>> Then we can discuss each line of the commit messages separately before
>> pushing to the master branch.
>
> Well, I do not know what Ricardo thinks, but personally I would prefer
> first a wip-r branch then merge.  It will avoid avoid annoyance of
> possible broken packages, I mean we could detect them.

Same.  I prefer having a branch so ci.guix.gnu.org can build things and
we can keep an eye on the fall-out (if any).

Sorry again for making this harder than it should be!

--
Ricardo