guix-devel

Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 10:02:24 +0100

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
>
>> I'd like insist: in the current state of Geiser, we cannot leverage it
>> reliably in Emacs-Guix.  We need to talk to Guix directly, e.g. with
>> `guix repl` like I've done in Nyxt.

Geiser could/should start ‘guix repl’ instead of ‘guile’ as its entry
point.

> I don’t know.  Geiser is pretty neat.  I like that I can send anything
> from a Guix source buffer to the REPL and invoke Guix commands on them.
> This close interaction between the evaluated source and Guix actions
> blurs the line between what is flexible code and what is the cold and
> clunky shell environment.  Using Geiser is a feature.
>
> Invoking mere shell snippets isn’t quite as interesting.

+1

It was a conscious design choice to have tight integration via the
Scheme APIs rather than by wrapping the command-line interface, and I
think it’s worked well.

The development features (info "(emacs-guix) Development") also
obviously benefit from that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.