guix-devel

Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 20:52:28 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Build a package does not work in Emacs Guix, and this is what I want
> to fix, among other things.

If that’s the only thing then this is an easy fix: avoid the REPL for
just this command for now.

> I don't want to remove any feature from Emacs Guix.
>
> For instance, we can keep the feature "switch to a Geiser REPL", while
> at the same time not having _all_ actions depend on Geiser.
>
> To sum up:
>
> - Everything that needs Geiser (like "switch to REPL"), we keep.
> - Everything else can use `guix repl` or direct shell invokations.

Right.

I think that “guix build” is still a thing that could be done in the
REPL (on arbitrary package values that may not exist in any file), but I
suppose this could be done with “guix repl” one way or another.

--
Ricardo