guix-devel

Re: Latest Nyxt features a GUI for Guix :)

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Latest Nyxt features a GUI for Guix :)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 10:20:10 +0100

Ryan Prior <ryanprior@hey.com> writes:

> On November 11, 2020, Jan Wielkiewicz
> <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> wrote:
>> [web browsers are] a really poorly designed copy of
>> operating systems and its utilities.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I just don't understand why in the web browser.
>> I'll try it.
>
> The web browser is the primary operating environment for a lot of
> people. Just as Emacs users built web browsers, terminal emulators, and
> mail clients on the Emacs platform, the web platform also has all those
> things (including various elaborate in-browser code editors.) So I
> understand this as having the exact same genesis as the Guix interface
> in Emacs: people would like to manage their operating system using the
> interface they spend most of their time in, and for Nyxt power users
> that would be their browser. I'm not at all interested in managing my
> Guix packages using Nyxt, which is highly correlated to my not being a
> Nyxt power user.

Exactly :)

To add to what Ryan said, Nyxt has a interesting design feature: it does
not need to depend on a web browser!  Nyxt is rather a
"Common Lisp interactive framework" and it would be perfectly possible
to implement a textual interface à-la Emacs.  Of course, web page
rendering would be much more limited though.

I'd like to work on a pure GTK (or <insert-your-fav-toolkit-here>)
version of Nyxt at some point.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/