guix-devel

Re: Make guix-publish's URL identical to cache file name

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Make guix-publish's URL identical to cache file name
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 10:55:49 +0100

Hello!

Peng Mei Yu <pengmeiyu@riseup.net> skribis:

> This proposal aims to solve an old problem.  Make it easier to setup a
> mirror server for the official substitute server and prevent future
> complaints from China residents about network speed.

Just so you know: we’re aware of this problem and agree that it needs
solving.  Ricardo (Cc’d) has helped in the past set up rsync on
ci.guix.gnu.org so that someone could rsync /var/cache/guix/publish to a
server in China.  I think we have most of the pieces more or less in
place.

> Then a mirror site can simply pull the directory
> /var/cache/guix/publish/nar from the Berlin server and serve this
> directory through a static HTTP server.  There will be cache misses.
> But guix-daemon will safely fallback to the next server in
> substitute-urls.

The simplest solution for now (I think that’s what Ricardo & co. had in
mind) would be for you to retrieve /var/cache/guix/publish on your
server, as is, and then run ‘guix publish’ on your sever: it will know
where to find files.  As I wrote to Jonathan, you can/should also run
nginx on top of that as a proxy to your local ‘guix publish’.

Ricardo, can you remind us what the next steps would be?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ludo’.