guix-devel

Re: GNOME in Guix

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: GNOME in Guix
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 14:43:50 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:45:06 +0100
Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at> wrote:

> But we already know all this from our earlier discussion.

I *know* you already know that--but "we" don't.  I want someone to actually
proceed further, because I cannot.  Hence I posted this on guix-devel
(for the first time with an easy short recipe to follow).

> > Now how do I get more info, using Guix tools?
> What kind of information do you even want to gather?  To be honest, you
> lose me every time you end up establishing knowledge, that already
> exists between this thread and the mentioned Guile-GI issue.

I am hereby asking someone who knows how this part of guix works to find out
what happens here.

> I suppose if you want to look at how environments are built, building
> them with higher verbosity would be a start, no?

Thanks.  That is what I wanted to know.

I tried guix environment -v 99 -d 1 and it adds nothing useful, especially not
how the other libgobject got in there.

So I still want to know.

> For the purpose of this, it would probably suffice to look at something
> simpler than guile-gi in its totality, perhaps just gobject-
> introspection + glib (note, that you'd need Scheme code to access the
> latter).

Sure, sounds good.