guix-devel

Use development sources more

From: Morgan Smith
Subject: Use development sources more
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 14:35:50 -0500

Hello Guix Devel!

I would like to propose that we move towards using sources that resemble
the development sources as closely as possible.

I like to work on Emacs and Emacs packages in my spare time. The Guix
package transformations are gold for this. My workflow is the clone the
source repo, make some changes and commit them, and then use the
--with-git-url package transformation to build and test.

The problem I tend to run into in my workflow, are that packages don't
tend to build from the development source. This is the reason I readded
emacs-next.

For Emacs packages we use elpa even if it doesn't resemble the
development sources.

For example, emacs-modus-operandi-theme and emacs-modus-vivendi-theme
are found in the same upstream repository. If you use the --with-git-url
transformation on either of these packages, you'll get an extra unwanted
file.

Currently I'm looking into building emacs-org from the development
repository, as the release tarball format is significantly different
(and the release doesn't include tests and it'd be cool to run the tests).

Thanks,

Morgan