guix-devel

Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 22:28:12 +0200

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 21:51, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>>                  ;; XXX: We can't build all formats at this point, nor are
>> they
>>                  ;; part of the LaTeX base, so we disable them.  Actually, we
>>                  ;; should be running this all in a profile hook, so that
>> only
>>                  ;; selected formats and hyphenation patterns are included,
>> but it
>>                  ;; takes long and TeX Live isn't designed to be modular like
>>                  ;; that.  Everything operates on a shared directory, which
>> we
>>                  ;; would only have at profile generation time.
>>                  (let ((disabled-formats
>>                         '("aleph aleph" "lamed aleph" "uptex uptex" "euptex
>> euptex"
>>                           "eptex eptex" "ptex ptex" "pdfxmltex pdftex"
>> "platex eptex"
>>                           "csplain pdftex" "mf mf-nowin" "mex pdftex"
>> "pdfmex pdftex"
>>                           "luacsplain luatex"
>>                           "cont-en xetex" "cont-en pdftex" "pdfcsplain xetex"
>>                           "pdfcsplain pdftex" "pdfcsplain luatex" "cslatex
>> pdftex"
>>                           "mptopdf pdftex" "uplatex euptex" "jadetex pdftex"
>>                           "amstex pdftex" "pdfcslatex pdftex" "lollipop tex"
>>                           "xmltex pdftex" "pdfjadetex pdftex" "eplain pdftex"
>>                           "texsis pdftex" "mltex pdftex" "utf8mex pdftex")))
>
> [...]
>
>> I suspect that the build environment doesn’t have locales set up so the
>> format dumping tool assumes that we want to us Latin-1 encoding for
>> everything.  (Roughly speaking, the fmt files are like dumped Lisp
>> images as I understand it.)
>
> I am totally naive here.  Is it not one of these disabled formats
> which should not be?

No, the pdftex formats are:

# from pdftex:
pdftex pdftex language.def -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfetex.ini
etex pdftex language.def -translate-file=cp227.tcx *etex.ini
pdfetex pdftex language.def -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfetex.ini

That’s copied from fmtutil.cfg.  The first word on each line is the
format name, the second is the TeX engine.  In the list of disabled
formats you see a whole bunch of formats that use the pdftex engine, but
they do not result in pdftex.fmt.

--
Ricardo