guix-devel

Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?

From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
Subject: Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 00:06:58 +0200

I didn't send this to the list... I must start using S L always instead
of R and changing the headers manually, sorry.  :o)

---
Hi Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
> Hello Guix!
>
> As discussed on IRC recently, several of us think that using “#true” and
> “#false” instead of “#t” and “#f” throughout or documentation and code
> would probably make it easier for newcomers to decipher that.
>
> WDYT?

I think that it could help to the reader.

> This syntax is supported since Guile 2.0.  ‘write’ still uses the
> abbreviations, but the good thing is that it means we can change all of
> gnu/packages without triggering a single rebuild.

This is even better. :)

> As for the manual, I’m afraid it’ll make every msgid that contains
> @code{#t} stale.  So maybe now’s not a good time to make this change?

It may be a big issue with a release in one week, but on the other hand
the msgids would break just after releasing...

Maybe other translators have a say.

Happy hacking!
Miguel