guix-devel

Re: guile-readline bug -- readline module not available

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: guile-readline bug -- readline module not available
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 16:55:59 +0200

Josh Marshall <joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I ran into an issue where the readline module isn't available for the
> guile repl after installing `guile-readline`.  It can be replicated
> via:
>
> `echo "(use-modules (ice-9 readline))" | guix environment --pure guile
> guile-readline -- guile`
>
> So with that, I'm pretty sure it isn't just me.

This is on a foreign distribution, right?

The '.guile' on Guix System has a trick that automatically loads
readline when available:

$ cat ~/.guile
(cond ((false-if-exception (resolve-interface '(ice-9 readline)))
       =>
       (lambda (module)
         ;; Enable completion and input history at the REPL.
         ((module-ref module 'activate-readline))))
      (else
       (display "Consider installing the 'guile-readline' package for
convenient interactive line editing and input history.\n\n")))