guix-devel

Re: Reproducible Research Hackathon: Friday, July 3rd

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Reproducible Research Hackathon: Friday, July 3rd
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:41:59 +0200

Hi Konrad,

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> skribis:

> There is an interesting issue left for me to explore, which is why
> Python 2.4 compiled with today's gcc has a bug that it definitely didn't
> have back then. It's probably related to the many intentional
> ambiguities in the C language standard, check out John Regehr's blog
> (https://blog.regehr.org/) for interesting examples. That could become a
> selling point for Guix because we have the option of compiling old
> software with old compilers, which is hard with other infrastructures.

Apologies for the delay.  What was this bug exactly?

I know Bonface addressed an issue related to how the Python 2.4 build
system would capture the kernel version via ‘uname’ a build time:

https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past/-/commit/d1977f5dccd73341f363cfa8d58ae3f2b2700ad7

But presumably you’re referring to something else, right?

Thanks,
Ludo’.