guix-devel

Re: Reproducible Research Hackathon: Friday, July 3rd

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Reproducible Research Hackathon: Friday, July 3rd
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 19:10:49 +0200

Dear,

Thank you all for joining!

A PAD is still open at:

  https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/guix-hackathon-9hlj?lang=en

Please add whatever you have been up.  Or drop an email.

We are interested to hear your feedback.  Especially about what pass,
what fail and what you have learnt, if you enjoyed the experience, or on
the contrary if you not, what could be improved for the next round.

Personally, I spent the day with the good ol' Fortran and codes using
the norm 77.  And I have enjoyed the flexibility of Guix: navigate
between the versions, running in container, etc..  For example,

  guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- build -L . foo
  guix time-machine -C channels.scm \
      -- environment --container -L . foo --ad-hoc bar@x.y
  [env] ./configure --with-bar=xx && make

And Guix helps a lot to expose "hidden" dependencies, i.e., not always
explicitly mentioned in paper's instructions. Well, something that I
learnt is you need some resource at hand, at least download or build the
substitutes in advance.

The "g77" issue [1] is not tackled but some points have been raised, so
maybe soonish. :-)

1: https://github.com/ReScience/submissions/issues/41

On the Guix side, a missing feature is to search back in history, i.e.,
somehow improves [2] (which starts 2019-01-01) and be able to find the
commit (or range of commits) which provided foo@x.y and bar@a.b

2: https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/boost

Well, thank you all again!  And hope to see you again on #guix-hpc. :-)

Cheers,
simon