guix-devel

Re: Providing a Guix System images catalog.

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Providing a Guix System images catalog.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 10:17:46 +0200

Hello,

>> I wonder about how this composes; if I'd want to add say a guix-daemon
>> service to the bare-hurd, how would I do that?
>
> How about leaving the ‘operating-system’ field of <image> to #f or some
> default value, and then filling it in with the argument passed to ‘guix
> system’?
>
> Or better: at the API level, we’d look for an “image constructor” (or
> “image type”), not an image, where an image constructor is a procedure
> that takes an <operating-system> and returns an <image>.  In practice,
> you’d wrap that in <image-type> with a ‘name’ field so you can still
> look them up by name.

Not sure to get what you mean after all. Could you maybe give a small
example of what you had in mind with the image-type :) ?

To give a short status on this one,

* The "target" part was added as
f292d4719dead6a615187f325fbc0bb0e99d10b4.

* I proposed this serie https://issues.guix.gnu.org/41839, that creates
a (gnu system image hurd) module for the purpose of CI.

So we now have an <image> record that contains all the required
information to be built as a Guix System disk-image targeting a specific
machine/architecture.

I think it would make sense to be able to build images directly from the
"guix system" command, but I'm not sure on how to make it composable
with an operating-system file.

Feedback welcome :)

Thanks,

Mathieu