guix-devel

Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:38:40 +0200

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 14:34, <elaexuotee@wilsonb.com> wrote:
> > > 1. Composable profiles,
> >
> > This is already possible.
>
> Would you kindly point me to the documentation? I am failing to find it.

  guix install hello -p foo
  guix install emacs -p bar
  eval $(guix package -p foo -p bar --search-paths=exact)

So it composes.  However maybe not what you had in mind. ;-)

> By "composable profiles" what I have in mind is the sum of two existing
> profiles and extending them as necessary
>
>     $ guix environment --with-profile saved-profiles/profile-A \
>                        --with-profile saved-profiles/profile-B \
>                        <packageA>

Yes, because "guix environment" cannot support "profile".  As said,
IMHO you raised 2 interesting use cases:

 1. create an environment based on a profile
 2. pack an existing profile

Obviously "a profile" means the composition of profiles if any.

> I agree. If I'm to make any points, I should just submit some concrete
> patches.

Patches are always welcome. :-)

Cheers,
simon

ps:
Well, maybe we are falling in the "take it to private email" thread pattern. ;-)
https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/thread_patterns/