guix-devel

Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:52:32 +0200

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I think there were several issues we discussed:

Allow me to reiterate, at the risk of bikeshedding... :)

>   1. We can only approximate that actual profile content; storing
>      an approximate ‘manifest.scm’ along with the profile would IMO be
>      deceptive.

Why is an approximate file more of a problem than a command producing
an approximate result?  We could include a warning comment at the top of
the file to make it explicit that it's approximate.

>   2. It’s easy to maintain compatibility over a data format, but it’s
>      much harder to maintain compatibility for code.

I'm confused: my suggestion is to add a new data format, so isn't it
better then?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt