guix-devel

Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 07:53:22 -0400

Carlo Zancanaro writes:

> Hey Chris,
>
> On Wed, May 27 2020, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
>> However, I wonder if, with a matter of just two patches, this could be
>> resolved:
>>
>>  - Patch out the automatic download of Cisco's h.264 plugin.
>>  - Add a warning banner *above* the extensions page, or simply switch it
>>    to the same one that Icecat already uses.
>>
>> Is that all that's necessary, then, to get "vanilla Firefox" in Guix?
>> It strikes me that with those two changes, the criteria would be met.
>
> We would need to watch out for Mozilla's requirements to use the
> "Firefox" trademark[1]. Of particular note is the section titled
> "Modified Versions Require Prior Written Permission":
>
>   The open source nature of Firefox and other Mozilla software allows
>   you to freely download and modify the source code. However, if you
>   make any changes to Firefox or other Mozilla software, you may not
>   redistribute that product using any Mozilla trademark without
>   Mozilla’s prior written consent and, typically, a distribution
>   agreement with Mozilla. For example, you may not distribute a
>   modified form of Firefox and continue to call it Firefox.
>
>   Changes requiring Mozilla’s prior written permission include (but are not
> limited to):
>    - Changing the default home page or adding bookmarks,
>    - Adding, modifying, or deleting source files,
>    - Adding, modifying, or deleting content from installer files,
>    - File location changes,
>    - Adding extensions, add-ons or plugins, or
>    - Installing themes other than those available in the most recent
>      stable version of Firefox available at Mozilla.org.
>
>   If you wish to distribute a modified version of Firefox or other
>   Mozilla software with Mozilla trademarks please contact us with your
>   request at address@hidden.
>
> Carlo
>
> [1]: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/

I agree this is a concern and is in the list of things to address.

I forget, but I remember reading somewhere that Firefox's codebase does
ship in such a way where rebranding it isn't as hard as it used to be,
or that the development version already did have some of this branding
stripped out.

Am I misremembering?
 - Chris