guix-devel

Re: Updating the “pre-push” Git hook

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Updating the “pre-push” Git hook
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 23:44:21 +0200

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:44:48PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> Hello Guix!
>>>
>>> I think we should change our pre-push hook as shown below.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Is it fast? :)
>
> This depends on how many commits you have previously authenticated.  But
> even the slow case is pretty fast.  I just authenticated 16,290 commits
> in less than a minute.  Regular contributors won’t have to authenticate
> nearly as many commits.
>
> For 0 commits it takes 4 seconds.

Hmm for me it’s more like 0 to 1 second, and it’s ~20s to authenticate
14K commits:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/22883#61

Could you try:

  mv ~/.cache/guix/authentication/channels/guix{,.bak}
  time make authenticate
  mv ~/.cache/guix/authentication/channels/guix{.bak,}

?

Anyway, for normal usage, it should be faster than the shell script.
Also, it performs a different job: the shell script would only check
whether a commit is signed at all.

Well, give it a try and lemme know!

Ludo’.