guix-devel

Re: best practise between git-fetch vs url-fetch?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: best practise between git-fetch vs url-fetch?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 13:13:13 -0400

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 03:08:26AM +0200, zimoun wrote:
> Based on these 2 messages [1,2], what is the consensus between
> git-fetch and url-fetch?

Do we need a consensus? Sometimes it's enough for the reviewer to 1)
bite their tongue or 2) fix before pushing. Often it's a matter of taste
and it is beneficial to not second-guess the patch author too much, to
not hurt their confidence.

I think we should try to avoid a situation where we have to bootstrap
Git. We do have git-minimal, which works for now. Libgit2 recently
started releasing tarballs, so that could be an option, too.

Another point for url-fetch is that Git's transition from SHA1 to SHA256
identifiers may be easy for us, or it may not be. We don't know yet.