guix-devel

Re: Towards a graphical installer?

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Towards a graphical installer?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 18:29:09 +0200

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 03:27:29PM +0200, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
> A way to move forward with the installer could be to propose an ISO
> image starting a desktop-environment by default. […]

Thank you for investigating.

I suppose keyboard input method (IME) support is a reason why someone
might wish to use an Xorg-based installer.  Are there other reasons?
What are the reasons for a real desktop environment; is the goal to
offer a live image?  Previously I would have thought a virtual console
is more likely to work everywhere, but kmscon has the same
requirements as Xorg and without kmscon we’d lose i18n.

Regards,
Florian