guix-devel

Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: https://guix.gnu.org/packages ?
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 16:46:02 +0200

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 16:23, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Does it make sense to replace the interface of [1] by the interface by [2]?
>
> A goal for [1] was to have a JS-free interface.  It’s necessarily
> limiting (no search interface), but I think it’s good to have.

I understand.  Even if I am almost sure no one use it in practise. )-:

Try to reach the package 'git' for example.
Click 'G'.
Nothing so to go to page 2.
Nothing so to go to page 3.
Nothing so to go to page 4.
Nothing so to go to page 5.
Nothing so to go to page 6.
Nothing so to go to page 7.
Yahoga! Find it!! :-)

And it is really hard to guess the page number because it really
depends on the number of packages before.  In this case, the Haskell
packages 'ghc-*'.

A more "usable" option should to turn off the page system.  Or least
to be able to optionally turn it off.  Then 'C-f' (or whatever you
shortcut is).

Or maybe I miss something on the webpage.  Could happen since I am
testing the Next browser. ;-)

> It would also be nice to preserve the design and layout that sirgazil
> came up with.

Or use the nice layout with the other interface (search etc.) :-)
But I understand that the JS is the current issue.

Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers,
simon