guix-devel

OpenJFX 14, gradle

From: Michael Zucchi
Subject: OpenJFX 14, gradle
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 11:30:24 +0930

Morning,

I'm trying to work on updating some java stuff as guix currently only has java12 which is  a year out of date and javafx8 which is ancient.  Apart from openjdk 13 and 14 which is in motion I've started looking at openjfx 14.

But openjfx needs to be compiled with gradle 6 now - the openjfx8 package uses ant but that is no longer an option (there's some netbeans ant files there but they seem non functional).  guix has no build-system gradle and looking at gradle I can't imagine there will ever be a source-bootstrapped package for it - the 6.0 distribution is 215 jar files, mostly external libraries, and it needs gradle to build (because of course it does).  I'm assuming that guix wouldn't accept using gradle-wrapper here which is the `supported' build mechanism for the openjfx project.

Partly out of curiosity and partly as a potential alternative I spent the weekend creating a single 1000 line gnu makefile to replace the >10kloc of gradle scripts and existing makefiles.  I haven't bothered with javafx.web or javafx-swt but otherwise it's complete and only requires antlr 4.7 at build time.  It uses gnu make features specifically and assumes a gnu environment, but it's 3-4x faster on my machine (amd r9-3900x).

Another alternative could be simple build script that forgoes incremental and parallel compilation support for a smaller script. I can possibly get that down to a few dozen lines of bash if i can utilise the existing makefiles.

Is either approach worth pursuing or is the whole idea a lost cause?

Regards,
 Michael