guix-devel

Re: branch master updated: gnu: gnuradio: Fix runtime python environment

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: branch master updated: gnu: gnuradio: Fix runtime python environment for plugins.
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 23:29:43 +0200

Hi Guillaume,

address@hidden skribis:

>      (native-search-paths
> +     ;; Variables required to find third-party plugins at runtime.
>       (list (search-path-specification
>              (variable "GRC_BLOCKS_PATH")
> -            (files '("/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks")))))
> +            (files '("share/gnuradio/grc/blocks")))
> +           (search-path-specification
> +            (variable "PYTHONPATH")
> +            (files (list (string-append "lib/python"
> +                                        (version-major+minor
> +                                         (package-version python))
> +                                        "/site-packages"))))))
>      (synopsis "Toolkit for software-defined radios")

It’s not OK to have PYTHONPATH in here because that variable “belongs”
to Python, not to GNU Radio.

A profile containing both gnuradio and python will have PYTHONPATH
correctly set.  However, I guess you want to ensure that PYTHONPATH is
correct even when Python is not in the profile, right?

In that case, I’d recommend wrapping the gnuradio executables such that
PYTHONPATH is correct.

Does that make sense?

See also one of our oldest bugs: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/22138>.

(Apologies if I missed a previous discussion!)

Thanks,
Ludo’.