guix-devel

Re: [EXTERNAL]Re: Modifying squashfs usage for `guix pack` for supportin

From: Josh Marshall
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL]Re: Modifying squashfs usage for `guix pack` for supporting singularity
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 17:58:59 +0000

While the images seem to work well in most cases, removing ways for bits to
change seems to be in the spirit of guix, and so the "-all-time" and
"-mkfs-time" options remove one source of change.  Additionally, without the
"--no-recovery" an extra file is made which is not useful to the process, and
for my manual testing seemed to cause write or permission issues which could
cause failures.  Guix already handles the failure cases in mksquashfs which the
recovery file is for and so the redundant work is not helpful, can cause
problems, slows down the process, and requires more resources.

As for the information given by `guix pack --list-formats`, I'd change to
something like the following:

```
  tarball       Self-contained tarball, ready to run directly on any Linux
machine
  squashfs      Container suitable for Singularity 2.x and 3.x
  OCI       OCI compliant tarball ready for 'docker load' and usable by
Singularity 3.x
  sif         Unsupported; container preferred by Singularity 3.x

For more information, refer to
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pack.html
```