guix-devel

Re: Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 14:26:24 +0100

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> Some packages are frequently without substitutes, like Racket and MAME.
> Link between the two?  They both take a long time to build.  So I wonder
> if this is not because the build somehow timeouts.
>
> I see that there is a `timeout' property on packages like chromium,
> qtwebkit, etc.

Few people know that this property has absolutely no effect.  :-)

It used to be that Hydra would honor it.  But Cuirass has never honored it.

It’s not clear to me whether Cuirass should honor it, in fact.

At the Guix level, timeouts are per session: you set them for all your
session with ‘set-build-options’.  So if you want them per-derivation,
you basically need to create one session per derivation build; that’s
what Hydra did.

But there’s a good reason for it to be per-session: the admin may want
to be in control of those parameters.  For example, on berlin, we’d
rather make sure machines don’t stay idle for too long.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.