guix-devel

Re: 23/33: gnu: commencement: gcc-boot0: Build fix for the Hurd.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: 23/33: gnu: commencement: gcc-boot0: Build fix for the Hurd.
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 08:02:13 +0100

Efraim Flashner writes:

> On March 11, 2020 4:20:26 PM UTC, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>Efraim Flashner writes:
>>
>>> If you're using gcc-7 as the bootstrap gcc for the Hurd then IMO you
>>> should go ahead and either use gcc-7 or gcc for the libstdc++-boot0
>>
>>Ah...your patch but then with gcc-7 instead of gcc-5; gosh why didn't I
>>think of that.  Thank you!
>>
>>I'll give that a try...although that patch won't get in, in its current
>>form, right?  We'd have to think of some solution...
>>
>>janneke
>>

> For new architectures it can go in, but there's no actual need for it
> for aarch64

Tried to try this

(define libstdc++-boot0
  ;; GCC's libcc1 is always built as a shared library (the top-level
  ;; 'Makefile.def' forcefully adds --enable-shared) and thus needs to refer
  ;; to libstdc++.so.  We therefore use a version of GCC which most closely
  ;; matches the bootstrap compiler of that architecture.
  (let ((lib (make-libstdc++
              (match (warn 'CS: (or (%current-target-system)
                                    (%current-system)))
                 ("i586-gnu" gcc-7)
                 (_ gcc-4.9)))))

overnight, but I realised that this diversification does not work; CS is
still x86_64-linux here when cross building for the Hurd.

janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com