guix-devel

Re: rust (build system) deficits

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: rust (build system) deficits
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 10:26:01 +0100

Am 08.03.20 um 21:10 schrieb John Soo:
> Hmm. Can you elaborate more on “not able to build non-trivial rust
> applications”?

I'm working on packaging sequoia-openpgp.org.

This requires nettle-sys, a FFI to nettle. nettly-sys "optionally"
requires "nettle-src". I added a phase to "nettle-sys" to remove the
"optional" dependency. nettle-sys also requires bindgen.

A second dependancy is "sequoia-openpgp", which requires rhe lalrpop
parser generator for building.

Now when building `sequioa-sqv`, I need to add all these dependencies again:

- nettle-src, since it is "optional" for nettle-sys - and the phase was
not executed.
- bindgen, since it is required to build nettle-sys
- lalrpop, since it is required for building sequoia-openpgp

> Patching a library Cargo.toml seems like an excellent job for source patches
> or snippets.

Quite some packages change Cargo.toml in a phase, e.g. rust-openssl-0.7.
Thus I assumed, this is the way to go.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel