guix-devel

Re: rust (build system) deficits

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: rust (build system) deficits
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 18:16:25 +0100

Hi John,
> My proposal is to:
> * move cargo-{development-}inputs into inputs, requiring only the source from
> libraries.
> * either:
>   - move the rust closure function so all packages use it
> Or
>   - adjust the transitive closure function such that it works on normal
> inputs rather than arguments
> * Do not build rust packages by default. Only run tests.
> * as a corollary to the previous item: Default skip-build? to #f but do run
> tests even if skip-build is #f and tests? is #t

Actually I do not care so much about  cargo-{development-}inputs fields.

The much more serious issue is that we are not able to build non-trivial
Rust applications: Given a package which needs to add phases, e.g. for
fixing Cargo.toml, we would need to run each package's phases when
building any depending package.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel