guix-devel

Re: Plan for a release!

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Plan for a release!
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 11:32:27 -0500

sirgazil <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure, but the problem of launching applications from
> application menus may be related to the issue of launching
> applications when double-clicking files in file managers (Thunar,
> Caja, etc.) when there is more than one Desktop Environment or Window
> Manager available. Could you please check
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39843 and see if you get the same
> behavior? If so, it would be helpful if you could report your
> experience in that bug report as well.

Sure.  I'll add it to my schedule.

>  > Joshua
>  >
>  > 1. I wish I knew how I could have reconfigured my laptop instead of
> reinstalling everything. I
>  > tried this.
>  >
>  > chroot /mnt;
>  > guix system reconfigure /mnt/etc/config.scm;
>
> I may be missing something from previous messages to the list, but to
> reconfigure the Guix System you can copy the system configuration file
> in "/etc/config.scm" save it wherever you want, modify it to your
> liking (e.g. adding or removing more packages or services), and then
>
> $ guix pull
> $ sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/your/config.scm

My problem was that I could not do a guix pull, because I could not boot
into the laptop.  Grub would load, and display Guix System boot option,
but after that it would show a blank screen.  Essentially how do you fix
a laptop that will not boot guix, via a guix usb install image?

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus